Thursday, February 7, 2013

Chicago Skyline Egg



Hello everyone!

If you've been following my blog for a while, you'll know that I paint ostrich eggs as a hobby. Ostrich eggs are my unique take on a canvas. Most of the eggs I painted in the past have geometric patterns on them, like this one and this one. For this egg, I decided to take a different approach and paint the Chicago skyline.



I painted this egg for my husband, S, who was moving from IL at the time. I knew he would be homesick so I kept the thought in mind when deciding what to paint. A picture of the skyline I found online was the perfect inspiration to get started. What you see is a view of the Chicago skyline and its reflection in Lake Michigan. The sun has almost set, the bright lights of the city are glowing, and distant stars can be seen far in the dark sky.


Since I'm not native to Chicago, I have absolutely no idea what's going on the egg. But the cool part is that S can actually identify most of the buildings! 


I painted the egg a while ago, but I only got a chance to photograph it recently. I went out in the freezing weather here and modeled the egg in the snow. The egg was striking against the white snow, except I'm sure my neighbors think I'm crazy.


So, I hope you all enjoyed this post. It's been a while since I've posted about my paintings but I hope to update more frequently. Email me at warif93@gmail.com if you are interested in having a painted ostrich egg of your very own.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Salam! Where do you get your ostrich eggs from? Do you buy them hollowed out, or do you do that yourself? Just wondering because they can be expensive sometimes :) wonderful job, masha Allah

© Best of Wardah. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.